Have an account?

A.J. Allmendinger admits misjudged Adderall use

Bookmark and Share All it took was one night off and one bad decision to destroy all what A.J. Allmendinger had been building for 20 years on the tracks. Allmendinger started his confession bout what led to his suspension to the press: "I got to Kentucky early for a few sponsor commitments and went to hang out with a buddy for a couple of days before we got going. We were out early evening. I hadn’t been sleeping well — all season, really with the way things had been going, obviously, the expectations and everything like that. I was really tired, had no energy, nothing. We were out, he had a couple of his friends with him and I was struggling to even stay awake. One of his friends said, ‘Oh, I have an energy pill that I take for working out. I didn’t think anything of it because I’ve taken energy supplements for working out, that my trainer gives me. So I didn’t even think about it. That was my big mistake. It was nothing crazy. It just gave me a little more energy." That was three days before Allmendinger reported to the track for NASCAR'S weekend activities at Kentucky. When his name was called to be tested that Friday afternoon, he “thought nothing of it.” Since transitioning from the open-wheel ranks to NASCAR, AJ has been already tested 15-20 times. As it is known, Adderall is prescribed to adults and children to combat symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Related Pistons