Have an account?

Nascar Silly Season: Hendrick keeps Martin - Kahne becomes a RedBull

Bookmark and Share Martin’s future at Hendrick Motorsports has been the subject of much speculation and debate following the announcement of signing Kasey Kahne for the 2012 season. There were huge persisting media rumors that the veteran driver could be obliged as soon as possible to retire earlier from driving the No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet as there was no driving seat available for Kahne in 2011.

And Martin responded fiercely by refusing to believe that he would continue to drive for Hendrick in 2011.
"I’m going to drive the 5 car. That’s what I’m going to do in 2011. That’s what I’ve said all along and I felt very disrespected when the media doesn’t accept that. What that means is that you made me look like I am about to get fired. That’s very disrespectful, guys. That’s what you all are doing. It’s very disrespectful and I deserve better than that from you guys.
I’m at the point in my career where I get to do whatever in the heck I want to do. Rick Hendrick and Alan Gustafson (crew chief) indicated to me that they wanted me to drive their car as long as I would drive it. After thinking about it, I told them I would drive it through 2011 and that would be long enough commitment for me and then I would do something else. They wanted me to go further than that and I wouldn’t do it because it’s too far out. I don’t have a road map and I don’t want to change my mind. I just want to do what I said I was going to do. That’s what we’re going to do, that’s what they want, that’s what I want."

But with Kahne moving to Red Bull in 2011 after Vickers possible sabbatical due to his blood clots health problems, Martin finally will stay at Hendrick in 2011, ending the speculation once and for all. It is unclear at this point which Red Bull Toyota Kahne will drive next season — the No. 82 currently driven by Scott Speed, or the No. 83 car of Brian Vickers, who might be forced to stay out of racing for 2011 in order to continue his treatment for his blood clots health problems — but Kahne should be a good fit for all parties. Red Bull Vice President and General Manager Jay Frye and Hendrick Motorsports owner Rick Hendrick are close friends, and Kahne certainly fits the Red Bull marketing image of young and hip. After all Kahne will be a stable driving 2011 choice instead of testing various potential drivers race after race. Reed Sorenson might could be an alternative but his mediocre performance and his substitution with Boris Said at Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at the Glen showed that he isn't included at RedBull's 2011 plans.

Kahne commented as well.
"It feels really good to be secure for next year and have a really good deal with Red Bull. It’s nice to have it over with and to know what I’m going and to have a positive attitude and look forward to it.
As soon as Rick told me about it, I thought it was a great idea."


Jay Frye, Red Bull Racing vice president commented about the move during the official announcement:
"Kasey is a proven commodity. We had the opportunity to secure his services for next year, and we’re thrilled we were able to do that...
We have a great relationship with Hendrick Motorsports. Rick has been a great friend and mentor of mine for a long time....
We have great expectations that everything’s going to work out for Brian. He’s only halfway through the process with his treatments. We have high hopes, but to be able to get a Kasey Kahne caliber of driver even for just one year, he’ll do a lot of things to make sure our progress is pointed in the right direction.
Scott has been with Red Bull a long time. He has to continue to get better. Now we’re going to tracks for the third or fourth time, and you certainly want to see progress from the last time he was at a certain track."

Related Pistons