Have an account?

Villeneuve ready for the great 2011 comeback?

Bookmark and Share Former world Champion Jacques Villeneuve revealed to the media his 2011 racing plans and confirmed that he is still in training for a possible F1 comeback. He also commented F1's current driver's standings...

Jacques Villeneuve came close to an F1 return after it was rumoured to join Stefan GP, a possible candidate for USF1's vacant F1 entry. Yet the hopeful Serbian outfit wasn't finally granted the entry as a the potential merge with USF1 failed and the remaining time for an official FIA team selection wasn't enough until the 2010 season inaugural race in Bahrain.
Still the Serbian team as well as Durango Racing, a team Villeneuve was also part of its SpeedCar program, have both applied for the 2011 selection bid which was announced by FIA.

Jacques Villeneuve already has announced his intention to lineup the best IZOD Indycars and Australian V8 series drivers in The Armor All Gold Coast 600 event in October 2010 and revealed to the Canadian journalist Rue Frontenac that he is working hard on staying race-fit with the help of a bespoke 400,000 euros machine conceived by his famous trainer Erwin Gollner.
"I'm pushing on anyway...
"There is nothing settled, but I like the direction things are taking. Do you really think I'd come here to train, leaving my family so far away, if I didn't think I was in with a chance?


Villeneuve talked to Auto123.ca about his relationship with Serbian F1 team Stefan GP, the Australian V8 Supercar series and North American Racing.
"For the moment, there's nothing to say about my return in Formula 1. No news. However, I will contest the endurance race of the Australian V8 Supercars series in Surfers Paradise at the end of the year. It will be a really big, international event. I know the track well and the Australian V8 is a serious series that is well organized and really professional.
There's also the Argentinean Top Race series that has changed its schedule. Now their racing season will take place during our northern hemisphere winter as I suggested them last year. This way, they can invited guest drivers and make it a big deal. That also is a possibility.
The economy in North America is showing positive signs. Things are starting to improve. The drivers markets are also recovering. Even in NASCAR. That is another possibility for me. But for the moment, I will continue to focus on making a return to Formula 1 before thinking about another series".

Villeneuve provided some interesting information about his initial contacts with Stefan GP.
"I never met Zoran Stefanovich. Contacts were made through other people... Yes, I had a seat fitting in Cologne, but that was it. I was travelling in the area and I went to the factory to have a seat moulded. No one knew at the time what was going to happen, if the team was going to race in Australia. So, to be safe, I had a seat fitting. But it was still a Toyota car with Toyota personnel. I don't know what are Stefan GP's plans for 2011. I know a few things because I read them on the Internet, but that's it. I'm not personally involved."



As Vileleneuve and Button were team-mates in 2003 in BAR, he was questioned about the performance of the current leader in the driver's standings after the first 4 races in Asia.
"Jenson was always quick in the rain but now he's becoming increasingly recognised as the best in the field. Michael [Scumacher] always had that reputation in the past but I think Jenson has passed him now in the minds of observers.

He also commented Button's decision to move from Brawn to McLaren.
"To change teams and stay among the best shows that it was no fluke … I am really happy for him."

Inevitably, he was asked about Schumacher's comeback due to their rivalry during mid-90s.
"This is his first big disappointment. He did well at first for a guy who has not raced for three years, but then the results were disappointing. Even in the rain, which is recognised as Michael's favorite conditions, Rosberg controlled it in a big way Michael is useful even if he's not winning, and nobody can take away his seven titles or that he is one of the best in history. And when Rosberg beats him with the same equipment, it cements Nico's reputation much more than if he were beating someone else."

Auto123.com's final question was a home streak.
"What if a small team such as Lotus, Virgin or Hispania offers you an opportunity to drive this season?"

After a short pause, Villeneuve quoted: "I am ready. I am physically and mentally prepared for a return to Formula 1. However, if it's to find myself four seconds slower than the competitive times, I'd have to really think about it. I must do things well. Correctly. I've been burnt before. I'm not interesting in going through that again."

Related Pistons