Have an account?

B. Junqueira joins A.J. Foyt Racing for 2011 Indy 500

Bookmark and Share Veteran Indycar driver Bruno Junqueira joins A.J. Foyt Racing and fellow Brazilian Vitor Meira to compete in the 100th anniversary Indy 500.

Junqueira who is the 2002 Indy 500 pole sitter is seeking to make his 7th start in the historical race, will drive the No. 84 ABC Supply car. The Brazilian ace has a best finish in 5th place, as a rookie driving for Chip Ganassi Racing back in 2001 and in 2004 driving for Newman/Haas Racing. In 2010 he drove for FAZZT Racing, but finished 32nd after starting 25th.
“I am very happy. First, because I love the race; second, because the biggest champion in that race is A.J. Foyt – he won as a driver, he won as a team owner, and third, I’m going to have Vitor as my teammate who is a good friend and a good driver so I think it’s a perfect combination.
Indy was actually my second oval race; my first race was in Nazareth (Pa.). So I went from a one-mile track, very tough to a very fast '500.' It was one of the biggest experiences of my life. I had a very fast car that year and I qualified as the fastest rookie. I did not practice and qualify on Pole Day, just the second day of qualifying, and I was the fastest second-day qualifier. I had a really fast car but I started 20th so I was in the middle of the field.


His indy 50 teammate, Vitor Meira is excited about Junqueira's addition to the team.
"Aside from our friendship, which we’ve had for a long time, Bruno is an awesome addition to the team because of the amount of experience he brings with him. This year’s race will be the toughest in a long time and we need to have every tool available to get 100 percent out of the car.”



Four-time Indy 500 champion A.J. Foyt is enthusiastic about the addition. of Junqueira in his team.
“Bruno certainly knows his way around Indy. Every time he’s run there, he’s been fast. Plus he and Vitor get along well. I may have to start learning Portuguese. Not really, but I think it’ll be great and it will make us a stronger team for Indy.”

Related Pistons