Have an account?

Hispania Racing Team hires free-agent Liuzzi for 2011

Bookmark and Share Tonio Liuzzi has been confirmed that he will join HRT's driving lineup for 2011, just like it was speculated over 15 days about putting an end to weeks of speculation about the team's second driver.


When Force India announced that Paul di Resta will replace Tonio Liuzzi although his contract with the team, tt looked that the Italian F1 driver could have left without a drive. this year after Paul di Resta replaced him at Force India over the winter. Hispania Racing Team was the only team in the grid that hadn't announced its complete lineup but after Liuzzi's successful test at Barcelona, the team has finally confirmed of what it was speculated since then, that Liuzzi will partner pay-driver Narain Karthikeyan.
Tonio Liuzzi who had replaced Christian Klien in Toro Rosso in 2005, commented:
"I am really happy to have signed this agreement with Hispania Racing. I never lost hope to be in Formula One as I knew I have the experience and the right attributes for a young and ambitious team. I face a new challenge now and this excites me. I also face a lot of hard work in guiding Hispania Racing through the development of our new car. I am extremely grateful to José Ramon Carabante and to Colin Kolles for giving me such an opportunity."



Team boss Colin Kolles stated that Liuzzi would bring a lot of experience of how to make HRT competitive in F1.
"I have known Tonio for many years as he raced with me in lower categories. He is a very professional driver who will bring a lot of benefits to the team. I am convinced about his skills to develop a car and his speed. He has shown this in the past having contributed to a large extent developing and moving a back grid car to the front. I had the pleasure of working with him and I am very happy and proud to have him racing with Hispania Racing."

Related Pistons